Fertility Assessment @ Raheny Medical is a new nationwide self-referral fertility service for men, women, & couples, who may have concerns regarding their fertility.
The fertility team is made up of our own GP Dr Sinéad Hussey who has a specialist interest in fertility & a dedicated Fertility Nurse Specialist who will explain, coordinate, and organise your fertility investigations within the clinic.
What can we help you with?
Whether you want to learn more about your fertility, or you have been trying to conceive without success, the Fertility Assessment @ Raheny Medical will provide information about your reproductive health that will help you make informed decisions regarding your fertility.
The clinic provides tailored individual fertility screening investigations & advice depending on your fertility concern, to help identify the cause of your infertility or to aid the assessment of your future fertility. This will include an ovarian reserve assessment for females & the assessment of the quality of sperm in a semen analysis for males. We also offer ovulation induction treatment to couples who meet the recommended criteria for this.
What is Infertility?
Infertility is defined as the inability of a couple to conceive after 12 months or more of regular unprotected sexual intercourse. While this is an indication of a fertility problem, it does not mean that you will never be able to have a baby.
Infertility is very common, with approximately 1 in 6 Irish couples experiencing some problems in achieving a pregnancy. Today age-related infertility is affecting an increasing number of couples.
What can cause infertility in Women?
- Ovulation problems are the most common reason for sub-fertility as women who have irregular periods may not be ovulating due to hormonal imbalances which can be caused by conditions such as thyroid problems, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) or premature ovarian insufficiency.
- Fertility decreases with age due to the declining quantity & quality of eggs a woman has left & this ovarian reserve begins to rapidly decline in a woman’s early 30s & the risk of miscarriage increases.
- Structural problems within the uterus such as fibroids or polyps can cause a problem with implantation.
- Endometriosis can result in damaging the ovaries or fallopian tubes & cause fertility problems.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) can damage and scar the fallopian tubes
- Being overweight or underweight can affect a woman’s fertility
What can cause infertility in Men?
- Male infertility accounts for more than a third of all fertility issues
- A semen analysis is the most important test used in the diagnosis of male infertility. If sperm quality is poor then egg fertilisation is dramatically reduced.
- Smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, hormone imbalances, age, excessive heat and environmental factors can all affect the production, maturation, and quality of sperm.
- A history of undescended testicles, or varicoceles which are enlarged veins in the scrotum.
Unexplained Causes of Infertility
- In a small percentage of cases, it proves impossible to work out the cause of infertility. This is often referred to as unexplained Infertility.
Who should attend
- Women of any age may who not wish to start a family yet but would like to assess their overall health & fertility by undergoing an Ovarian Reserve Assessment and Wellness check.
- Men who would like an in-depth overview of their health & check the quality of their sperm
- Couples who may want to assess their fertility before starting their family
- Couples who have been unable to conceive after 12 months of regular unprotected sexual intercourse & 6 months if the female partner is more than 35 years old
- Couples who may be having trouble conceiving again
- Couples who would like to undergo Ovulation Induction treatment & monitoring to help them conceive
- Women in their 20s or 30s who have irregular & infrequent menstrual cycles, have a family history of infertility or premature ovarian failure, have had a previous pelvic infection, have or suspected endometriosis or polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
What Services are included?
Fertility Assessment @ Raheny Medical offers several fertility consultations, investigations, and support to help identify & treat any underlying causes of your infertility or to help you assess your fertility pre-conceptually
In-person or virtual Fertility GP Consultations
In-person or virtual Fertility Nurse Specialist Consultations
Pre-conception consultations & fertility advice
Male and female Fertility Wellness Screening
Ovarian Reserve Assessment
AMH (Anti-Müllerian Hormone) blood test
Fertility and wellness blood tests
Sexual Health screening
Cervical smear screening
Ovulation Induction treatment & management
Follicle tracking management
Referrals for imaging tests, HyCoSy, laparoscopy, genetic testing or to other medical specialists.