Raheny Medical Fertility Clinic is a new fertility clinic which will assess any person over 25 years of age who may have concerns regarding their fertility.
The fertility team is made up of our own GP Dr Sinéad Hussey who has a specialist interest in fertility and a dedicated Fertility Nurse Specialist who will guide patients through their fertility journey within the clinic.
The clinic provides several individual fertility screening services and fertility investigations depending on the patient’s concerns to help identify the cause of their infertility or to aid the assessment of their fertility regarding their ovarian reserve for females and the quality of the sperm in a semen analysis for males.
What is Infertility
Infertility is defined by the WHO as ‘the inability of a couple to conceive after a year or more of regular unprotected sexual intercourse’. While this is an indication of a fertility problem, it does not mean that you will never be able to have a baby.
Infertility is in fact very common, with approximately one in six couples experiencing some problems in achieving a pregnancy.
What causes Infertility
Causes of Infertility in Women
- Ovulation problems are the most common reason for low fertility as women who have irregular or infrequent periods may not be ovulating
- Fertility in women decreases with age because the quantity & quality of their eggs reduces & the risk of miscarriage increases
- Structural problems within the uterus such as fibroids can cause a problem with implantation of a fertilised egg
Causes of Infertility in Men
- Male infertility accounts for more than a third of all fertility issues
- A semen analysis is the most important test used in the diagnosis of male infertility, if sperm quality is poor then egg fertilisation is dramatically reduced
- Smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, hormone imbalances, age and environmental factors can all affect the production, maturation, and quality of sperm
Unexplained causes of Infertility
- In a small percentage of cases, it proves impossible to work out the cause of infertility. This is often referred to as unexplained Infertility.
Who should attend
- Couples who have been unable to conceive after 12 months of regular unprotected sexual intercourse and 6 months if the female partner is more than 35 years old
- Couples who may be having trouble conceiving again.
- Couples who may want to assess their fertility prior to starting their family.
- Any women of any age who would like to assess their future fertility by undergoing an Ovarian Reserve Assessment.
- Women in their 20’s or early 30’s with a family history of infertility or premature ovarian failure, has Pelvic Inflammatory Disease PID, Amenorrhea, suspected Endometriosis and PCOS.
- Men who want to check the quality of their sperm.
Fertility Services Available
- Fertility GP Consultations
- Fertility Nurse Specialist Consultations
- Female & Male Fertility Assessments
- Ovarian Reserve Assessment
- Fertility Hormone Profile blood tests
- AMH (Anti-Müllerian Hormone) Blood Test
- Sexual Health Screening
- Semen Analysis
- Ovulation Induction Treatment & Management
- Follicle Tracking Cycle Management
- Referrals for Pelvic Ultrasound Scan & Tubal Patency tests as required
How to make an appointment
To make an appointment with Raheny Medical Fertility Clinic please email email@example.com and a member of the fertility administration team will contact you
To make an initial appointment with the Fertility Nurse Specialist who will explain, coordinate, and organise your fertility investigations within the clinic.